Wine Pairing: Domaine Raymond Usseglio Chateauneuf-du-Pape Rouge 2007, $29
The vegetables can be served at room temperature or hot from the oven.
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 9 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp freshly chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp freshly chopped marjoram
- 1 pounds medium yams (red-skinned potatoes), peeled, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch rounds (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch rounds (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabagas, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium sized red onions, peeled, root ends left intact, cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- fresh parsley sprigs
Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425F. Spray 2 large rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray. Whisk 6 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp thyme, and 2 tbsp marjoram in large bowl. Add yams, carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, and onions and toss to coat. Sprinkle vegetables generously with salt and pepper and divide between prepared baking sheets. Roast vegetables until tender and brown in spots, turning occasionally, about 50 minutes. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. If desired, rewarm in 350F oven about 15 minutes)
Whisk balsamic vinegar, remaining 3 tbsp oil, 1 1/2 tsp thyme, and 1 1/2 tsp marjoram to blend in small bowl. Drizzle over roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and lemon peel. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to platter; garnish with parsley sprigs. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe courtesy of KS 🙂