Makes two 12-inch or four 8-inch pizzas
- 1 package (about 1 tablespoon) active dry yeast <
- ¾ cup warm (105 ° to 115 ° F) water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading and rolling
- 1 ½ red onions, cut into ½-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing and drizzling
- ¼ pound fresh cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups (6oz) shredded fontina or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and pepper
- To prepare the dough, sprinkle the yeast over the water in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir in the oil, salt, and flour. Gather into a ball and knewd on a floured work surface, adding more flour as necessary to make an elastic and smooth dough, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lightly oil the dough and return it to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Punch down the dough. Use right away, or let sit at room temperature for up to 1 hour, or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature again before rolling out.
- Preheat the over to 400° F. In a baking dish, combine the onions, vinegar, and the ¼ cup of oil. Toss to coat and separate the onion wedges into layers. Cover with aluminum foil and roast until soft, 15- 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and salt and sauté until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or pre-heat a gas grill to medium-high. On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough into 2 or 4 sections, depending on what size pizza you are making. Roll each out into a 12- or 8-inch round. Brush the rounds with oil on both sides and place on the grill. When the surface bubbles up, 30 second to 1 minute, turn an dgrill the other side until the bottom is nicely browned, about 1 minute. Arrange the onions, mushrooms, cheese and tomatoes on top of the pizzas. Drizzle oil over the tomatoes and sprinkle with sale and pepper. Cover the grill or place aluminum foil over the pizzas, and cook until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Serve right away.
- Serves 16
Recipe courtesy of Robert Mondavi Wines