Wine Pairing: 2007 Chateau du Seuil Semillon-Sauvignon Blend (Graves Blanc), France, $20
The crisp acidity in this wine pairs perfectly with the creamy texture and flavor of the soup.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 baking potato (1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chervil or parsley sprigs, for garnish
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the potato and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender, then return it to the pan. Season the soup with salt and pepper, garnish with chervil and serve.
Courtesy of Food and Wine