- 1 medium leek (white part only)
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 cup wilted baby spinach squeezed dry of all liquid, chopped
- 1 pound Brie
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 pound fresh jumbo lump crab meat, picked clean of all shells
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat an oven to 425°F and lightly oil an 11-inch gratin or other shallow baking dish.
- Trim and finely chop leek. In a large bowl of water wash the leek well and lift from water into a mesh strainer to drain. Finely chop the onion. Squeeze dry and finely chop the spinach. Discard rind from Brie and cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a heavy skillet cook the leek, onion, and garlic in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until pale golden; stir in the spinach. Add the wine and cook, stirring until almost dry. Add the cream and simmer for 1 minute. Add the Brie stir constantly until it just begins to melt. Remove the mixture from heat and stir the in the herbs.
- In a large bowl stir together crab meat, mustard, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste and stir in cheese mixture. Spread mixture evenly in baking dish and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve with warm Crostini.
Recipe created by St. Francis Executive Chef Dave Bush