Wine Pairing: To complement the citrus and fresh fish flavours choose a wine with fresh acidity and aromatic flavours. “Les Fumées Blanches”Sauvignon matches this dish well with its intense aromas of lemon and lime from the Sauvignon grape.
Ceviche is the fresh South American dish made from raw fish marinated in lime or lemon juice with olive oil and spices. Done in the traditional South American style, this recipe is quick, healthy, exotic and one of the best you will ever taste!
- 2 pounds of raw fish (corbina, red snapper, or any good quality whitefish) or scallops or prawns
- 1 large red onion
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 3 cups of fresh orange juice (preferably use sour oranges or you can use pure natural orange juice with no pulp)
- 1 cup of lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
-Blanch the raw seafood or fish in water (put briefly into boiling water).
-Cut the onion into long thing strips -julienne style
-Place them in a bowl with water and 2 tablespoons of salt and let it settle for 10 minutes. Then gently rinse with water. This will remove the bitter bite from the onion and make it sweeter.
-Cut tomatoes into small squares.
In a large bowl, mix the onion, tomatoes, orange and lemon juice, cilantro (or parsley), oil, salt and pepper.
-Add fish and prawns and mix.
Serve with fresh popped popcorn, or roasted sweet potatoes for garnish.
Courtesy of Francois Lurton