Today’s MatchMaker is Calorie and Budget Conscious Chicken Noodle Soup and Sauvignon Blanc. Why? Because in this month of resolutions, it’s all about reducing! This Chicken Noodle Soup is low in calories and Sauvignon Blanc, being a dry white wine is quite light and calorie-friendly. Note: the calorie count of red and white wines is quite similar – around 110 calories for a 5 oz glass. If it’s sweeter, it likely has more calories. Oh, and ports and dessert wines and liqueurs are a different story…much higher in calories, though if you need to justify it, you would be drinking less of a dessert wine, probably more like 3.5 oz.
Wine Pairing: 2009 Errazuriz Estate Sauvignon Blanc, Casablanca Valley, Chile, approximately $11
- 2 1/2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups diced, cooked chicken meat
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles and oil, and boil for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and rinse under cool running water.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine broth, salt, and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil. Stir in celery and onion. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Gradually add to soup, stirring constantly. Stir in noodles and chicken, and heat through.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 147 | Total Fat: 3.6g |
Recipe Courtesy of AllRecipes.com