Wine Pairing: 2008 NxNW Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon
- 6 oz filet mignon, medium dice
- ¼ C all purpose flour, for dusting the meat
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp shallot, chopped
- 1 ea pappardelle pasta bundle, or fettuccine
- 1 C demi glace, available at your local butcher
- ½ C Cabernet
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T crème frâiche, or sour cream
- ½ C yellow onion, julienne and caramelized
- 1 C crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 ½ tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/8 C bacon, diced
- 2 T brandy
- 1 ½ C spinach, raw
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Season the diced filet mignon with salt, pepper, and a generous amount of flour. Shake off the excess flour and sear the dusted filet pieces in a large sauté pan with 1 Tb olive oil. Caramelize all sides of the meat, being careful not to burn it. Remove the meat from the sauté pan and set aside for later use. Lightly rinse the sauté pan and put it back on the stove on high heat.
Place a pot of salted water on the stove top and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. When the sauté pan is hot again add 1 Tb olive oil and the mushrooms, stirring constantly. When the mushrooms caramelize add the shallots, garlic, salt and pepper and toss. Deglaze with the brandy, Cabernet and balsamic vinegar. Add the Dijon mustard, caramelized onions, 1 Tb crème fraiche, thyme and the seared filet. Reduce the mixture on medium heat until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
Serve immediately and enjoy.
Recipe and Pairing courtesy of King Estate.